TUSC

Monday, January 30, 2006

Rob - Forgot to Mention.....



....here is one thing I want to work on while I am BORED OUT OF MY SKULL at work for the next 29 days....

In-car PC. Done up.

Was going to say before that when I was at Staples tonight grabbing storage bins I came across some briefcase-like items with combo locks on them. The brand name is Vaultz, and I thought they would make PERFECT cases for mobile PCs... They are sturdy, locable, affordable and easy to modify/cut. Best of all, these suckers come in about 8 different shapes, sizes and dimensions! Very Good! =)

I have a sheet somewhere with a FULL list of ideas for the system, but I'll just post the gyst of it here...

I want the system to include:

-MP3s playable through car stereo with equalizer in the pc..AM/FM capability?
-LCD screen, to replace head unit if I can get AM/FM through PC.. probably an S-video feed so I can hook up other accessories straight to the video if I want.
-Mapping Software, though not necessarily GPS.
-IR capability!!
-DVD / Video through LCD
-Might as well make PS2 available, too. Why not?

Those are the key functions I am curious about. I'll have to reference the list tomorrow when I get back to work to add other thoughts I had. I'm ready and willing to do this. I thought I could try to use the Athlon system I am going to pull out of the basement soon and run that as a test-bed... so we can upgrade and add new functions over time. Then perhaps upgrade the system if necessary later on.

If I can find out how to properly power the unit, I will start moving ahead with it. =)

Gotta love technology. I have some cool ideas for controls, also curious about voice controls.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tusc said...

Also the radar emitter. Yes, definitely the radar emitter. =)

I would be curious about internet and gps, but those have monthly fees attached to them for the signals and tracking. Not necessary.

Q: are there wireless fold-up keyboards?

I know there are "trigger" mice, wireless hand-helds... but was also considering putting one of those laptop "mouse" thumb buttons on the wheel or possibly on the dash or a dash-mounted control pad.

Lots of options. And thankfully, with the Crown Vic I have TONS of space to mount extras in the trunk and run wiring. =)

10:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home