TUSC

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Whatta Wicked Weekend

Firstly, since I just set it down for a few seconds, let me express just how much I am enjoying the novel I am reading right now. I am SO SO close to finishing "Once" by James Herbert. It is a truly well-written mixture of fantasy, intrigue and sensuality that I have scarcely been able to set down over the past two days. Two thumbs up!

Let me see, let me see... went to see Gary Allen, the country singer, on Friday night. He did a free concert at the Maryland State Fair. Well, free minus the six dollar admission fee. He and his group put on a good show and I was happy to see a minimum of toothless grins in the audience... but also quite a few fair ladies. I can't say that I knew who Gary Allen was before the show, but I did enjoy a number of songs he played. One about a woman at a bar who was poison, quite a few about drinking, and the only one I recognized... which is actually one of the few country songs I have heard in the past years that I really loved... as in, driving down the road and you hear it and wait to see if they announce who was singing? Anyway, it was the soung about 'tough little boys, grow up to be men... turn into big babies again...' It's about fatherhood and the joys therein. Few songs really reach out to me, but that one did pretty well. And I was ever so flattered to have the singer himself staring at me all night.... er, um... or at least at the girl standing a few feet in front of us.

Gettysburg was fun, though not as I remembered it. We really did a quick pass of the battlefield itself and then on to some shopping as the rains came in. I would have seen more, but had to respond to a blasted emergency at work via phone. Holly managed to get a GREAT shot of me while on the phone. My voice was very polite and soft over the phone, but the look on my face betrayed my inner thoughts. I have never seen myself look angry before! I looked PISSED! Even my body language with my hand on the back of my hip. Too funny!

I poured through some gift shops for souvenirs to bring home and found a few interesting things and a gag gift for dad. I believe I spent most of my time in the art gallery. I was considering several paintings, but settled on just one in the end.

One was a massive water color of the Battle of Trafalgar. It depicted the moment when Lord Nelson took the Victory in perpendicular to the French line, cutting between two warships and raking them with fire. The title for the painting was "The Nelson Touch" The title struck me as very cool. This was very endearing to me, as Nelson is my namesake. It was only $450 framed, and I may still purchase it, but I am not sure about the water color. Granted, it was done very very well, but the 'feel' of watercolor versus oil is so different. I may chew on it a while and order it anyway.

Another piece I was looking at was of the Jefferson Memorial from a vantage across the water. The forefront of the picture was limbs with cherry blossoms and the time of day is set to be early morning with a light fog or myst clinging to the shallows. For $425 I considered it, as well.

But the one I purchased was much cheaper. If it were the same cost as the others, I would still have purchased it. I just had to have it. Though I may give it to my father. The picture is of George W. Bush behind the podium with the President's seal on it with his head hung in prayer from 9/11. Fading in and out over various portions of the background is the American flag, a white cross in the center and focused around the President's head. To the bottom left of the podium is the Statue of Liberty. To the bottom right is the statue from the Iwo Jima memorial. And featured to the left and right of the President are Presidents Lincoln and Washington, both of whom have their chins tucked in prayer with their hats over their hearts. Below the work is featured a quote from scripture which lends meaning to the entire image and the timeof sorrow it represents. I have not yet memorized it fully, so I won't hack it up here until I can faithfully represent it. Needless to say, the picture is dramatic.

Today? Rennfest! But more about that later when I have more time. Also met the family this weekend. Weird how it always makes you nervouse beforehand, even when unnecessary. Also in news... no more allergies?!?! Can it be? Ciao, and chow-chow!

Dude, you ever had chow-chow?
What IS this stuff?
I dunno, but it's been in that jar since the wedding last month and we're afraid to open it.
Ok. This calls for harsh measures. We're going to need a hot dog, some bruschetta, nachos and pizza.
There's no way that goes on pizza.
No, I just want pizza... with caramelized onions. Chicken and pesto on the other side.
It's done. Beer?
With chow-chow? Let's start with the Cab...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home