TUSC

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Recent Stuff


Having found part of the missing team, it seems Mulder remains at large... (yuk yuk yuk!)


A la Caddyshack: Everybody get outta here! There's a lobster loose! Look out, everyone, she's vengeful! Quickly! Cover yourself with that butter and carry lemons just in case you have to squirt it and so forth to repel it! There's gonna be a tragedy! Oh God...oooh...AAAH!


Star performing her rendition of "Danse des Papillons" (Dance of the Butterflies)

Hmmm, what can I post that's new?

Halloween was lackluster. Not many kids came out to the house. It's too bad, because we always stock the big bars and a fair selection of them as well. Now I have to keep it from becoming "my gain" in the waistline. On that note, without exercising I have managed to cut myself back to 201. My BMI is still nowhere near what I like, but it's a start. I have been doing stretches each night - both general stretches and those intended for my shoulder. So I'm feeling a bit more limber. If I could kick this amazingly PITA sinus (7 weeks and counting...) then I would feel better about pushing my cardio again.

Um, hmm. I miss Tori. Haven't seen her as much lately as I would like. This is why I'm trying to expedite the repairs to my POS car. Maybe I'll run down to the store and grab a Chilton's or Hayne's manual so I can find out how to test the sensors with a voltmeter. This means I can spend $30 on the book to be sure that the potential $80 - $200 purchase of an O2 sensor is the absolute correct repair. And if I can get THAT out of the way, then I can see Tori-bear more often!

Investing... what a rollercoaster. The indicators I've culled are good. I mean GOOD. But the key to this seems to be in order execution. I.E. - the error exists between the seat and the keyboard. Taking any position in the market is a 50/50 chance. But I've come to call it Brett's "50-50-90 Rule." Any time your odds are 50/50, you are 90 percent likely to mess it up. No, I'm not messing it up 90% of the time! It's just really slow going.

Ordered a new video card today. My current secondary card is a PCI card, but it has been crapped out since Day 1 giving me the picture on the screen but with funky discolorations. I finally found another PCI card using the same ATI chipset as my main AGP8X card as well as a compatible model/driver so they will work flawlessly together. So I grabbed that from NewEgg today and with some luck it might arrive tomorrow. That would be nice! So I will have the 21.3" Samsung with one of the BenQ 19" on the x850 xt and the other BenQ 19" and the Sony 19" mated to this new card. FINALLY!

BF2 stuff.... I'm almost to the Staff Sergeant rank now. Rob needs to get playing! I need an evil cohort. While playing Warlord last night, I found a new spot to cause havoc from. As a Brit, I zip-lined down to the apartment building near the Insurg Hideout across from the TV building. But I didn't go to the roof, I zipped into one of the balconies on the sidewall. Well... I went through ALL my ammo! From this spot I had direct coverage of the TV Flag, as well as an angle covering over half the wall area along the rooftop. VERY handy! I kept popping their snipers and they had no idea where I was! Later last night, I also played two awesome rounds in Mass Destruction where I commanded. As Rebels, we RAPED the Spetz. They couldn't get across the bridges! Any time one made a run for it, I covered out backfield and popped them.... much to their surprise. Then when we played as Spetz, we broke out early and caused all sorts of havoc. We basically confined them to the Train Yard flag and contained them there until the end of the game so we could raise our scores. That is, we could have capped their flag but we decided to let them keep playing so we could raise our points. LOL I would have been RIPPED if I was on the other team.

Also played a round in Warlord that my team lost. This was after the sniper round. I switched teams to the one with less skill and let someone else command. This team had no chance of winning, since the other team had clanners who preferred sniping. Well, I turned medic and camped the roof of a construction building south of the main combat line at the beginning. Got the Cmdr to drop supplies behind me, too! So I stayed prone and waited for the UAV to paint targets. Then I'd pop up and drop 'em as best I could. I might have done better as a sniper, but the medic kit kept me alive more than the resupply crate. It was fun. I didn't get a TON of kills, but I managed to only get myself killed once while bagging 18 of them. I also kept them from taking out our strategic resources (UAV / SCAN) while clearing anyone trying to snipe the approaches to the Plaza and TV flags. Was fuN!

Rob, ya GOTTA get that knee to a point where you can join in!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tusc said...

This one just zinged through my head. While interviewing the Miss North Haven / Greater Hamden girls, one of them had spent half a year in France. I asked her a question about anti-American sentiment from foreigners and she said that the Parisians were fairly polite, but that the people outside the city were pretty much pricks. She explained how at one point she and her friend, who were minding their own business walking down the street talking to one another (in English, though they were both completely fluent in French) had a guy ride past them on his bike and say "U e Americans" and she explained that the way he said 'u' (sp?) was done in a vulgar way.

Well, just now I imagined myself in that situation... walking along with a backpack or something and some snotty French pulls that sort of thing. I'm just picturing the guy going past thinking he's so smart, but not noticing as I BOOK after him making a great noise of rustling clothing and sneakers pounding pavement as I THROW the backpack at him, knocking him to the cobblestone where I proceed to POUND his GD face until he bleeds. Swearing at him and punctuating each hit with 'U e ASSHOLE! We. don't. take. that. shit. in. America!' I would be wicked happy to get arrested for that.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

And now some humor at France's expense:

Jacques Chirac, The French President, is sitting in his office when his telephone rings. "Hallo, Mr. Chirac!" a heavily accented voice said. "This is Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Clare, Ireland . I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on ya!"

"Well, Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?"

"Right now," says Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is meself, me Cousin Sean, me next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire darts team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Chirac paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100,000 men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begoora!" says Paddy. "I'll have to ring ya back" Sure enough, the next day, Paddy calls again. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on. We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be Paddy?" Chirac asks.

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor."

Chirac sighs, amused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 6,000 tanks and 5,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I have increased my army to 150,000 since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" says Paddy. "I'll have to get back to ya." Sure enough, Paddy rings again the next day. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We have modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Bar have joined us as well."

Chirac was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100 bombers and 200 fighter planes. My military bases are surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I have increased my army to 200,000!"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" says Paddy, "I will have to ring ya back." Sure enough, Paddy calls again the next day. "Top o' the mornin', Mr.Chirac! I am sorry to inform ya that we have had to call off the war."

"Really? I am sorry to hear that," says Chirac. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," says Paddy, "we had a long chat over a few pints of Guinness and finally decided there is no fookin' way we can feed 200,000 French prisoners!"

1:11 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

Vinny and Sal are out in the woods hunting when
suddenly Sal grabs his chest and falls to the ground.
He doesn't seem to be breathing; his eyes are rolled
back in his head.

Vinny whips out his cell phone and calls 911. He gasps
to the operator "I think Sal is dead! What should I
do?"

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says, "Just
take it easy and follow my instructions. First, let's
make sure he's dead."

There is a silence and then a shot is heard. Vinny's
voice comes back on the line, "Okay... now what ?"

1:12 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

An Apache guy, who had spent his whole life in the desert, goes to visit a friend who had moved to town. He'd never seen a train or the tracks they run on.

While standing in the middle of the railroad tracks one day, he hears this whistle -- Whooee da Whoee! -- but doesn't know what it is.

BAM!!, he's hit by the train and tossed to the side of the tracks. It was only a glancing blow, so he was lucky enough to live through it with a few broken bones and some bruises.

After weeks in the hospital recovering, he's at his friend's house attending a party one evening. While in the kitchen, he suddenly hears the teapot whistling. He grabs a baseball bat from the nearby closet and proceeds to batter and bash the teapot into an unrecognizable lump of metal.

His friend, hearing the noise, rushes into the kitchen, sees what's happened and asks the Apache guy, "Why'd you bust up my teapot?"

The desert man replies, "Shii' kiis', you gotta kill these things when they're small."

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

Once upon a time an Englishman, a Sctosman and an Irishman were captured by the Red Indians on a prospecting trip in North America. They been tied up against their respective totem poles for a day when the Chief walked up to the Englishman, pinched the skin of his upper arm and said, "Hmmm, heap good skin, nice and thick. Will make heap good canoe. You have a last request?"

"That case of gin I had when your boys caught me. I'd like that", says the Englishman. He's provided with his gin and is taken off to a teepee for his final night. The Englishman drinks two bottles of gin.

In the morning the Indians dispatch him, skin him and make him into a canoe. The canoe lasts a couple of days when it tears on a rock. Next day the Chief walks up to the Scotsman, pinches the skin at the top of his arm and says, "Hmmm, heap, heap good skin, very, very thick. Will make heap, heap good canoe. You have a last request?

"Ah'll huv ma whisky back", says the Scotsman. He's provided with his whisky and taken off to a teepee for his final night. The Scotsman drinks three bottles of whisky. He's already dead when the Indians come to collect him the next morning. They skin him and make him into a canoe. The canoe lasts a week before it tears on a rock. Next day the Chief walks up to the Irishman, pinches the skin at the top of his arm and says, "Hmmm, heap, heap, heap, heap good skin, very, very, very, very thick. Will make heap, heap, heap, heap good canoe. You have a last request?

"I'd loike a fork.", says the Irishman.

The Chief gives him a funny look but gives him the fork. The Irishman takes the fork, stabs himself repeatedly shouting, "Yer no makin' any bloody canoe outta me!"

3:08 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

There is nothing funny about the Portugese.

10:02 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

See? I told you there's nothing funny about the Portugese.

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

Well, I have now spent a total of EIGHT hours diagnosing and fixing the computer. In the end, it turned out to be just a hard drive that failed. But the way in which it failed led me on a wild tangent and has added considerably to the time spent fixing it.

THANKFULLY, I had enough foresight to duplicate much of the files I had on that drive throughout the house and I will be able to get all but one folder back by tomorrow morning. It just takes time to transfer that amount of files across the network. The one thing I lost is the same one I have no chance of recovering.... Alex's music files. And I LITERALLY began going through them last night in an effort to organize and integrate them into my MP3 collection. Doh!

At least the problem is solvable with just a little time and effort. If it had been my motherboard, a design they don't support anymore, it would have been a VERY expensive malfunction since I essentially would need to buy a new CPU and MB, perhaps also Ram and graphics card. OUCH!

11:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home