TUSC

Friday, August 04, 2006

=( Lost a Neighbor



The neighbors lost their massive old willow tree to yesterday's extreme winds. I had been in the basement when the storm began to pick up, and when I looked out the pillbox windows from the basement all I could see were treetops dancing like they were drunk. I'm glad I ran out and got soaked so I could move my cars next to the garage! We can see a few trees along the ridge and in the woods that have also capitulated, but seeing the willow blocking the road was a sad sight to wake up to. It's hard to explain, but the tree just 'fit' there. Those neighbors have a thing for Gone With the Wind and it seemed to make their well-kept lawn feel like an old plantation. Even the house's subtle cream color and warmer green accents went with the tree. It had fallen over once before many years ago and had survived being strung back up, but not this time. Seeing the shallow root system (not even as deep as pine roots!) I'm surprised it lasted as long as it has standing alone out in the breeze. It's really sad though. It was such a nice tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home