TUSC

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Research: Bi-Polar Disorder, or Manic Depression

Haven't read too much yet, but did a quick search and came back with some good resources to share.

http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.bipolar.html

Basically, that site has a lot of what the Google search found plus some additional information as well.

I figure it is best to be forwarned and forearmed and try to better understand what Leigh is facing, as well as how we can help avoid it and support her from doing this again.

I'm not saying she clinically absolutely is Bi-Polar, but she has been wicked emotional and depressed lately. "My life sucks" "I look terrible" "No man wants me" "You all hate me" (ok, NOW we do, but not then) And then her statements about others controlling her life.... when in fact she is the one who forces her will upon the group's decisions instead of simply voicing her preference as we politely yield to her rudeness. If I were to guess based on everything I have heard, seen and experienced of late? She feels totally out of control of her own life, is unhappy with her job where she has been given little to no responsibility, is rightfully concerned over her finances being tight, but certainly doesn't help herself by buying new cars and cell phones... she feels out of control and is making these snap decisions as far as the purchases to prove to herself that she DOES have control, but those decisions only prove to make her tension or depression worse.

This is all blind guessing on my part and supposition. I think it seems to fit the scenario conveniently enough. Armed with no knowledge of what the heck is really causing all these problems for Leigh, I can only guess. And while she may not be expressly Bi-Polar or Manic, there is definitely an emotional disorder making itself known which is not simply anxiety or an incorrect dosage of her meds. Reacting to friendly words with paranoia. Always thinking poorly of oneself. Suspecting others of undermining her. Thinking that her boyfriend would give her roommate more attention than herself (the whole telling Tori what to wear thing). I can go on and on. How people can ignore the situation and the symptoms is beyond me.

And, of course, I'm sure sitting here saying "You're nuts" doesn't help much. I know I'd throw up a mental block to someone saying it so crudely to me. But after the total assault she launched on us last Sunday, I don't exactly feel all milk and cookies about how she feels anymore. I would hope that if she gets worse, she doesn't do anything to Tori and keeps it to herself. But it's already evident that she has no control over herself.

Cum tacent, clamant.

"When they are silent, they are crying out."

Well, in this case that's true. But it neglects to mention that when they scream, they've already blown their load. And that no matter what you do, you can't help stem the tide.

In other words: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
There's no second chance coming.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tusc said...

Criteria for Major Depressive Episode (DSM-IV)

Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or
pleasure.

Note: Do not include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.

(1) depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g. appears tearful). Note: In children and adolescents, can be irritable mood.

CHECK! Often weepy.

(2) markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)

Not so check, though she has no interest in her own activities and feels she MUST be part of what Tori and I are doing at any moment.

(3) significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight
gains.

No check. I couldn't tell you. She seems about the same weight range as always, but I don't check her ass out enough to tell you.

(4) insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day

CHECK! She told us how she doesn't sleep well, specifically stating not more than 4 hours most nights. I, myself, have held odd hours as a lifestyle... so we'll count this as a half-check.

(5) psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)

CHECK! The girl can't sit still. Even when she's sitting still, she's twitching uncontrollably and non-stop.

(6) fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day

CHECK! A lazier girl is not to be found. She sits around even more than Tori! =P (Sorry hon, it's true!)

(7) feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being
sick)

CHECK! She has openly declared a low sense of self-worth on several occasions.

(8) diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)

Not so check. I have no evidence to make this a check or a non-check. She seems no more, or less, decisive than anyone else.

(9) recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide

Not so check. I haven't seen or heard any directly self-damaging thoughts from her and I hope she doesn't harbor any private thoughts along those lines. =( Going to her funeral would suck worse than dealing with her landmine-esque behavior.

Tallying....
5 Checks. Or 5 and a half if you actually count that one I mentioned, which I'm not.

That doesn't mean she is expressly depressed, but it does suggest a strong statistically significant liklihood that she may be and ought to seek a professional's counseling.

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

Er, I suck at math. That would be 4 to 4.5 LOL

There is certainly enough gray area to consider the possibility of a problem and the innocent seeking of a professional's help to learn more.

3:53 PM

 
Blogger Tusc said...

Annoying cell phone....

I keep getting calls from 702-889-0899.

Nevada area code.

It rings. I pick up. It kills the connection.

Got a few of the calls still logged in my phone.

I figure it's some automated business computerized call messing up.

But annoying, just the same. All since yesterday.

4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home