TUSC

Friday, June 17, 2005

Batman Begins: "A guy who dresses up like a bat CLEARLY has issues..."

"A guy who dresses up like a bat CLEARLY has issues..."

Some people grew up addicted to Star Trek, others are scions of the flannel man and worship lightsabres or ewoks. Myself? I share a great interest at least in Star Wars, but growing up I always loved the Dark Knight. Not Batman as he began in the 60's, but Batman as he was reborn to fit my generation. The Batman who held tight to his honor while fighting back against the senseless horde, using all their own violence against them without losing sight of himself. I suppose it is my belief that good and evil are subjective terms, that perspective and experience weigh each image as it is deciphered through societal values. This often puts my own perspective at odds with those of other people. I don't take offense, nor do I object to people having their own opinions. Though they seem to take offense to some of my own. Such as being... violent... in 'sentencing' sex offenders or child abusers. The same way our own country portrays a self-image of being the squeaky-clean hero. All we have has come at a price, and we hold onto it through continuing to pay a toll in the common coin: bodies. Sometimes theirs, sometimes our own. We spin the story to fit our needs and keep our populace happy and feeling safe. All is as it should be. Rome crucifies Christ and drives the baggage trains home laden with the prizes of foreign lands.

As if on cue! Right then a pair of F/A-18s loaded down with fuel tanks and AMRAAM's buzzed my house in tight formation heading WSW at 3500ft. Cool... I've never seen them over my house before, just the Nat'l Guard A-10s. Those F-18s are loud.

Anyway - Batman RULED. Not a purely faithful film, but none of them can be. Christian Bale played Wayne and Batman equally well. And the quote was repeated from the original film "A guy who dresses up like a bat CLEARLY has issues..." Very nice.

I hadn't read anything previous to the film, so I was very pleased to see Ra's Al Ghul as the nemesis. He was always a good character. Equal parts honor and villain. Of course, we know he'll be back!

Damn, ANOTHER flight of F-18s. At least they're not flying faster/higher... I'd be worried then at this unusual occurrence. This pair was not visual, but they passed further north heading in the same direction.

Ok... yes, I'm sidetracked a lot here. LOL. I have to go get cleaned up and skee-daddle. Just go see Batman. You'll love it. This one is my instant favorite of the whole collection. I won't even get into the confusion regarding the Joker... though if someone wants to get a dialogue going with me, I'm game.

Out for the night, y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tusc said...

Mmm, I keyed in on that one, too. Definitely going to see it again *wink-wink*

3:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home